Wednesday, November 21, 2012

And we're off like a heard of turtles



I'm always late. Plain and simple. B.K. (before kids), I was just a little late. If I said I would meet you at 8:00, I'd be there by 8:10 for sure. I never really thought of it as a problem, and neither did my friends or employers. Now Adam, it drove him bananas. Too bad. He should have taken a hint when our own wedding started an hour late. Which, by the way, was so not my fault!

Now that I'm a mom, I don't have a snowballs chance in hell of ever being on time. It's just not going to happen. If we are invited somewhere, we are, at the very least, 20 minutes late. I've been running over an hour late before, and still had the balls to show up. If we are going on a road trip, tack on 2 hours from my said departure time. If we are flying, there's a high probability that we won't make the flight.

Sensing this may actually now be a problem, I decided our next road trip was going to be the one where we shocked everyone by arriving when we said we would. This personal dare was no small task either. Driving 427 miles to Grandpa Mike's house, with all four kidlets in tow, and leaving Adam at home . . . YIKES! But, I like a good challenge and this would be epic if I could pull it off. 

By 11:30 p.m. last night, everything was packed and ready to go. All that was left was to put everything in the car. I felt so proud of my accomplishment! This morning, my alarm went off, and I only snoozed it for maybe 20 minutes. I happened to glance out the window. It was crazy foggy out there, but I didn't think much of it. I hopped in the shower, got ready and started collecting the bags to load into the car. I opened the door, and to my wonderment, I could barely see the big white bus. The fog was so dense and creepy. I woke up Adam. We both agreed that by dawn, which was an hour away, the fog would lift and we'd be on the road. 

Well, that was over three hours ago and here I am, writing this blog. As Lily once told me, "God controls everything. Except Mother Nature. When she shows up, she's the boss." Oh mama N, way to poop on my cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment