Sunday, November 18, 2012

What's in a name?

When I decided to start a blog, I wasn't concerned so much about what I'd write about. The little people in my life keep it plenty interesting around here. What I was flipping out about was the name of my blog. For those of you who know me, you get my angst. Naming people stresses me out beyond belief; why would my outlet for literally prose be any different?

With the kidlets, I worried I would pick the wrong name and the small one would hate me for all eternity. Or the name I loved dearly would go out of style (think Misti, Tiffani, Tammi, or really anything ending in an i). Or, even worse, the kid would change their name. Ouch. Burn. (Oh, wait, I pulled that stunt. Sorry mom and dad.)

So, I did what any creative writer would do: I had a few glasses of wine. I tried this tacit for days. Still nothing. Don't get me wrong, I was all for getting the creative juices flowing. But, that elusive 'ah ha' moment was really starting to tick me off.

Then, one day, I gave up. I told myself that if I'm having this much trouble picking a damn name for my blog, I shouldn't be writing one to begin with. It was actually quite similar to the process of naming my children. With the kidlets, I'd think real hard, maybe even yell the name a few times, just to make sure it rolled off my tongue with some bite. When it didn't feel right, I'd give up.

And then it happened. I was cleaning chocolate milk, grape juice, and other unknown organic material off the entertainment center. I remember thinking, "from a far, she's held up pretty well! See, I CAN be that mom with white furniture!" Then my eye caught several of the permanent pen marks and gouges. "Oh, Raggedy Ann," I thought to myself and smiled. That's it!! That's my name!! Momma bear is gonna be a blogger! Whoo whoot!

Let's quickly rewind all the way back to January 2009. Lily was 20 months old, Leah 5 months. The girls were playing nicely so I walked out of the room for a moment or two. I come back to see my once pristine entertainment center was now the canvas for Lily's abstract art. She had, of course, disposed of the evidence. (I would later find out that the kid hoards pens and glitter glue. Another topic for another day.)

I shot a glance at Lily, "Who did this??? Mommy just got this a week ago!! Bad. Very, very bad!!"

Lily looks me straight in the face, and without the slightest hesitation, says, "Raggedy Ann did it. "





No comments:

Post a Comment